what are diagnostic tests?
Diagnostic tests are typically nonsurgical assessments that are performed to identify the presence or absence of a disease, injury, or underlying medical condition. There are numerous types of tests that can be used to evaluate your health. Most are very simple and performed on-site at our Plano, TX office while others may require a trip to a partner lab or hospital. Nest Family Medicine takes great pride in providing our patients with fast, convenient diagnostic services. Whether you or your child needs an x-ray to check for a broken bone, pneumonia, or other concern, our team has you covered. Call our office in Plano, TX to schedule an appointment with family physician Dr. Priti Ranjan.
Diagnostic Testing Reviews
what are examples of Diagnostic Tests?
Some of the most common diagnostic tests that are frequently ordered by Dr. Ranjan include but are not limited to the following:
- Clinical exam: This is a physical exam of the body to assess areas of concern but is often used to evaluate asymptomatic patients as well. Dr. Ranjan will also review your medical history during this time.
- X-rays: Electromagnetic waves are used to capture images of the body's internal structures. This helps identify broken bones, tumors, foreign objects, and inflammation of the soft tissues.
- Ultrasound: High-frequency sound waves take pictures of various areas of the body for medical observation. This test is often used to identify the cause of symptoms, such as pain, swelling, and infection of the organs.
- CT/CAT: Advanced technology captures detailed images of the internal organs, bones, and soft tissues. This allows our team to assess the internal structures three-dimensionally.
- MRI/MR: This scan uses a combination of state-of-the-art technologies to take cross-sectional pictures of specific areas of the body. It can be used to assess the head, chest, abdomen, and pelvis.
- Biopsy: A small sample of tissue is taken from the body for examination. This is used to identify cancerous skin cells or other types of malignant tissue.
- EKG/ECG: This assessment measures the function and strength of the heart. It can help identify signs of heart disease.
what does a diagnostic test consist of?
All diagnostic tests are different and are either invasive or noninvasive. For example, a biopsy is considered a minimally invasive procedure while all imaging exams are noninvasive. During your initial health assessment, Dr. Ranjan will determine which diagnostic tests should be performed to better understand your condition and symptoms. From there, she can go over how the test will be conducted and answer any questions or concerns you may have.
where to get diagnostic testing
If you or your child are struggling with chronic pain, unexplained swelling, or other symptoms, reach out to Nest Family Medicine in Plano, TX today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Ranjan. Our team is highly trained and experienced in performing diagnostic testing on adults and children so you and your family can get the answers and treatment you need. Our office also accepts most major insurance plans and Medicare.